Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Backyard Project

Quick history, my grandfather took care of an acre of land until he died, about 8 years ago. Since then the care given to it has been extremely limited, mainly mowing weeds (that thing called grass, it's gone) and killing everything that could be. Everything else was let go, not taken care of. Over the past few months I've been working on it myself and trying to get it up to par with not only being a regular backyard, but a decent garden and general good looking place. Sometimes I look at it and can't believe I've been doing stuff with it for four or so months (since March), it looks like I've hardly done anything with most of it. I have worked one corner to be pretty good and I'm ever so slowly expanding. I didn't take any pictures when I first started, I'm just doing it now. First the little area I've been busting my butt on then I'll post the rest later, next week hopefully. I'll explain more later, next week too, about it when I have more time.

After all that, I'll be posting stuff periodically showing some progress and changes done. I'm hoping the change will be not only extremely noticeable, but fantastic looking. (Some picture you'll have to click on to see the whole thing)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Between the Mock Orange and the light were two stumps I took out, dug them, and I cleaned up all the weeds as the aera all along the fence was overflowing with them. I put down about an inch of manure mix all through the area and behind the tree slightly on the left and up.

Photobucket

The I took about four dying/overgrown flowers out of the little garden place surrounded by the railroad ties on the right. I put new soil down and added three Dahlias. The grass in the center was a bit of a project as I've been pulling weeds from it periodically. I reseeded the empty patches in it and the new grass is growing very well so far.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There was a stump between the tree and the Mock Orange bush (there's a few of these around this place) I dug out also. You can see where I placed the manure mix (along with some new top soil), the messy bricks and the dirt area will eventually be turned into a brick patio.

Photobucket

Photobucket

From the fence looking at the house, those bricks will just continue towards me.

Photobucket

I'm not sure what to put here, maybe some cat mint?

Photobucket

The other side, not so pretty. I'm in the process of scraping the grass out and re-seeding it all and putting in some new grass.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The well pump! Everything is irrigated by this little sucker. Well water is nice.

Photobucket

Not a pretty sight.

Photobucket

Looking out to the lawn. I like that Hydrangea, and I like that lawn.

Photobucket

The other Hydrangea I put in and some deer.

Photobucket

Some more deer action.

Photobucket

Along the fence. Those tall flowers on the left are Bachelors Buttons.


Thanks for looking, I hope this turns out great.

No comments: